Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Life around the Altamont Pass

Life is unique here.  The Altamont Pass area has it's own culture.  It's filled with people with high hopes and long days.  It's close enough to the San Francisco Bay Area that many of us do the commute, several hours each day, to and from the Bay Area.  But it's far enough away to be considered by most, not really part of the Bay Area (I say I live in the East, East Bay).  And it really is a world apart.  My first 27 years growing up in Silicon Valley, I never had seen a camouflage truck driving through the Safeway parking lot.  But it's close enough to common here, that no one really bats an eye. 

I, like many out here, moved here from the Bay Area because of the home prices.  I wanted something REALLY affordable, but nice.  I could have bought a 100-year-old, falling-down fixer-upper, house in downtown San Jose.  But instead I bought a 3-year-old house in beautiful Mountain House, for the same price.  The commute to Mountain View (yes, I work in Mountain View and live in Mountain House) sucks.  But for now, I like my job and I'm not willing to change it.  And I'm not willing to move either.  I've decided I love this area - Livermore, Mountain House, and (sometimes) Tracy*.  It's quiet, quaint, and reminds me of simpler times.  I love the rolling hills, the cows, and that there's room to breathe. 

So, I'm starting this blog for those of us who live here.  One of my constant goals is finding great deals (I am really, really cheap), and I'd love to share those with you.  And I'll share my thoughts and experiences, as well as keep you posted on neat local events.




*Tracy is a great town with tons of charm, but we have to be honest and admit that it has it's faults.  The crime is my biggest complaint, and I must admit that I don't venture to parts of town by myself at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment